Support the ABC – our vital, threatened national broadcaster. Please join our campaign to restore ABC funding and independence.
The ABC is under very serious threat – from politicians, commercial media organisations and certain lobby groups.
As you are probably aware, the national campaign is very much targeted around the federal election to be held this year. We will be seeking to talk to as many federal sitting MPs and Senators as possible; as well as candidates, particularly in marginal seats.
We have been assured a meeting with the Minister for Communications, Senator Mitch Fifield, to present ABC Friends’ case for restoration of funding and protection of ABC independence.
The National Campaign also includes:
- ABC Friends’ submission to the Senate enquiry looking at the ABC’s regional and rural representation and coverage
- National meetings in Canberra in early March with the Parliamentary Friends of the ABC and interviews with leading players – Liberal, National Party, Labor, Greens and cross-benchers
- Preparation of lobbying kit, followed by briefings round the country
- An events program with key speakers, including Jonathan Holmes, Jon Faine; an electorate meeting in Higgins, and a cross-border meeting in Wodonga (inc. Cathy McGowan)
- Refurbishing the Friends’ website – it will be much more user-friendly
- Running targeted advertising campaigns
- Social Media – particularly to reach our younger supporters